Standing on the Rock
by Karen Holland
I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.
Until recently I didn't connect these 3 things - standing firmly on the rock, seeing God's glory and singing a new song.
Then the Lord said, There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by.
...for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ.
(1 Corinthians 10:4)
From these verses we see that you must be standing on the rock to catch a glimpse of the Lord's Glory, and this rock is the Lord Jesus Christ. One good reason to be standing on the Rock of Christ from this Exodus 33 passage is for protection! In vs 20 the Lord tells Moses - "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live." But on the Rock of Christ, a glimpse of the Lord's glory can be experienced. Will this always be the case? Can we only hope for a glimpse of God's glory while standing on the Rock?
...but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
(1 Corinthians 13:10, 12)
Look! When Christ returns, all those standing on the Rock of Christ will see Him face to face and know Him fully - then we'll see more than a glimpse of God's glory! Does anything else happen while standing on the Rock? Look at these verses from Psalm 40:1-3.
* 'Wait on the Lord' - Hope in Him, Trust Him, seek him with your whole heart - you'll find Him (Jeremiah 29:13).
* He will lift you up out of your darkness & place your feet on a rock - the Rock of Christ! A firm place to stand.
* While standing firmly on the Rock a 'new song' is sung! For a while I thought the 'new song' might not literally mean singing, it could mean the new life you're given when you put your trust in Jesus Christ and give Him your heart -- or it could mean a new direction in ministry ... there are probably more possible meanings. But, look at the following verses about 'singing to the well.'
The Lord said to Moses, Gather the people together and I will give them water. Then Israel sang this song: "Spring up, O well! Sing about it!...
The people were thirsty in the desert with no water in sight. Look what the Lord instructs -- gather together. What do the people do? Sing! Sing while they are still thirsty - before they see any water, any results. Singing while thirsty is an act of faith -- being certain in spirit before any evidence is detected by normal senses (John 20:29).
You really can't miss that this well has living water - the living water that one can drink from the Rock! So it seems one way to let this living water flow is to gather together, stand on the Rock and sing - sing the 'new song' of praise to our God that He gives us.
1. Let's gather together
2. with our feet planted firmly on the Rock of Christ
3. and let the Lord put a new song in our mouths, a song of praise to our God
4. Sing this new song with all that is within us (Psalm 103:1)
5. surely the living water will flow and all can drink
6. and we will catch a glimpse of the Lord's glory for now
7. and then when He returns we'll see Him face to face!!!!(1 Corinthians 13:10,12)
Thank You Lord for the Rock of Christ, a firm place to stand. Thank You that as we put our trust in Christ, You will lift us out of our darkness, place our feet firmly on the Rock and give us a 'new song' to sing. Thank You Lord that we can drink the living water of Christ. Help us gather together and sing a song of praise - that many may come to drink and find a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Copyright © 2013 JustWorship.com
All rights reserved. Used by permission.